On 06/06/2012 08:33 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
This looks like the processor I have, I think you would use amd64.  Almost
certainly your system is 64-bit as opposed to 32-bit.

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

Yes, definitely 64-bit.

For a new computer, I wouldn't go with anything earlier than FreeBSD 9.0, and
in my case, upgrading to 9.0-STABLE proved stabler than the 9.0 release.

STFW:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-March/239742.html

It looks like -STABLE are daily development/ test builds (?):

ftp://ftp.allbsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-snapshots/amd64-amd64/

I'm looking for stability.  I'll try the 9.0-RELEASE:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/

Base system includes ZFS.

Good.

I've never used virtual machines, but VirtualBox is popular for this purpose.

VirtualBox does seem to be popular. It played with it on Debian Testing (Wheezy), but I believe the shared folder feature filled my root partition and I couldn't locate or remove the blockage.

Samba is in ports.

Okay.

I don't recognize or don't remember DQ67SWB3 motherboard model, is it from MSI?

Intel:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dq67sw.html

I'm not sure what the "B3" suffix means, but it's on the box.

A few other questions for the list, please:

1.  Does FreeBSD support encrypted disk partitions (slices)?

2. Does the X server in FreeBSD (?) support Intel HD 2000 integrated graphics?

David