On 12/06/2012 04:53, Polytropon wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:36:00 -0600, Arlen McIntyre wrote:
How can I get FreeBSD on
my other partition and have a dual OS system without the boot installation?

Qustion part one:

Prepare a USB stick with the FreeBSD "memstick edition".
You'll find instructions on how to do that on the FreeBSD
website, as well as the installation media.

Preparation: Make sure you have _free_ disk space. This
means: Do not create any DOS partitions, just leave it
"empty" and let the installer perform the required tasks
of partitioning and formatting.

If you have XP on the other partition you will need to install FreeBSD using the "old style" MBR partitioning scheme. See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html

You might want to consider sticking with FreeBSD 8.3 which I think only supports MPR partitioning. FreeBSD 9.0 supports both MBR and the newer GPT scheme so you would have to work out how to choose during the installation.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html

Chris