On 6/22/12 11:11 AM, dude golden wrote:
> HI there,
>
> hope my email find you well, i recently order a server with below
> configuration
>
> INTEL
> 1x Quad-Core i5-2500 3.3GHz, 6M Cache
> 16GB DDR3
> 2x 500GB SATAII
>
> then ask from my COLOCATION to install FreeBSD 8.2 or 8.3 with RAID 1, after
> many times of fail in installation from colocation they said that we have
> problem with RAID 1.we suggest them to play with different kind of RAID like
> RAID 5 and they said as our requested server only have 2 HDD, its not
> possible to set up RAID 5.
>
> now they said us that the only way for having backup of DATA in this
> condition is set up a scheduled task to put back up of data in the second HDD
> .
>

> now i really need to know if there is a only way for having data back up in
> this condition or you have better idea according to your experience.also if
> its the only way , would it be a good level of data security ?
>

> looking forward to hear from your side soon.
>
> Regards,
>
> Smartelcom Team

Hi,

Your colleagues are correct about the RAID levels, you can only do RAID5
with a minimum of 3 disks.

Your available options with 2 disks are JBOD, RAID0 or RAID1.

You obviously want RAID1.

How have they tried to install the server ?

I've had no problems ever installing 8.2 or 8.3 as a RAID using either
gmirror, or hardware RAID.

Does the server have a hardware RAID controller or are you trying
software RAID ?

Do you have remote console access to the server ?