On 06/23/2012 10:38 PM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
last binary production ready, used version 14; i also found it to be stable Any opensource zfs pool verisons beyound that, i am not really sure about their stablity compared
 to UFS rock solid filesystem.

No ZFS pool version can be as trusty as UFS because of ZFS on disk structure that is plain dangerous.

ZFS use tree-like structure for everything. If upper part of tree is corrupted, everything below "disappears" and cannot be found.

Having 2,3 or even 100 copies of metadata doesn't help if you would have (maybe transient) hardware problem and bad metadata would be writen 2,3 or even 100 times. with proper checksum of course.

UFS uses flat structure - inodes in known places. superblocks are used to find info about placement, and there are many copies of which only first is updated under normal operation.

In really unlikely case of all superblocks corrupted just use newfs on virtual device (may be md) of same size, with same block and fragment size, and byte per inode, and copy superblock from here.

Dont email me privately. I like ZFS design however i was only questioning v28 stability for production
   compared to a mature production tested UFS.