On 06/27/2012 09:25 AM, Aleksandr Miroslav wrote:
hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here
goes.

I have the following in a shell script:

     #!/bin/sh

     if [ "$#" -eq "0" ]; then
             find /foo
     fi
     if [ "$#" -eq "1" ]; then
             find /foo | grep -i $1
     fi
     if [ "$#" -eq "2" ]; then
             find /foo | grep -i $1 | grep -i $2
     fi
     if [ "$#" -eq "3" ]; then
             find /foo | grep -i $1 | grep -i $2 | grep -i $3
     fi

Is there an easier/shorter way to do this? If there are 15 arguments
supplied on the command line, I don't necessarily want to build 15 if
statements.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

The following solution relies on the fact that you can include multiple
patterns for grep to match with the '-e' argument:

  #!/bin/sh

  PATTERNS=`echo " $*" | sed s/\ /\ -e\ /g`

  find /foo | grep $PATTERNS

Notice that when constructing the $PATTERNS string out of the command line
args, you have to quote them with a prepended space character.  That's because
the subsequent 'sed' substitution needs to find a space *before* each argument
which it then replaces with "-e ".