"Peter A. Giessel" <pgies...@mac.com> responded:

> You can find a version of dump for Linux that supports ext4.  What I have
> been completely unable to find is a linux boot disk that has a version of
> restore
that supports ext4.  If anyone knows of one, I would be very interested.  I am
very hesitant to use a backup scheme that doesn't have a clear recovery path.

I've used the System Rescue CD (sysresccd.org), which you can burn to CD or
write to USB stick.

I haven't checked all the features, so I don't know if it includes restore for
ext4.

Latest release version is 2.8.0

It ought to read/write ext4. I think it would read (BSD) ffs or ufs v1 but not
v2.

Tom