Thanks for this very informative suggestion.
I think I need to study it thouroughly, but will certainly head for that solution.

kind regards,
Jos Chrispijn

Polytropon:
That would work, and could be performed easily even using
the slice editor of the sysinstall program.

Of course, make sure that all partition references work
properly for _each_ slice. Using labels is a comfortable
way to achieve this. But it would be no problem to use
the device names (as long as the disk won't be moved).

For example:

Slice 1: Installation OS 8.2
        -> boots to /dev/ad0s1a (kernel is in ad0s1a:/boot/kernel)
                -> performs root mount of /dev/ad0s1a
                        -> mounts OS partitions /dev/ad0s1[defg]
                        -> mounts data partition /dev/ad0s3

Slice 2: Installation OS 9.0
        -> boots to /dev/ad0s2a (kernel is in ad0s2a:/boot/kernel)
                -> performs root mount of /dev/ad0s2a
                        -> mounts OS partitions /dev/ad0s2[defg]
                        -> mounts data partition /dev/ad0s3

Slice 3: Users' home directories

You also use the fdisk command to set the active partition manually,
or write a short skript that "flips the switch" to boot from "the
other slice" the next time (comparable to the nextboot command in
relation to kernels); see "man fdisk" for details.

That won't work in "Windows" mode, as you cannot click on the slice. :-)