On Mon, 22 Oct 2012, free...@johnea.net wrote:

On 10/21/2012 07:32 AM, Warren Block wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012, Lucas B. Cohen wrote:

On 2012.10.20 20:17, free...@johnea.net wrote:
Just wondering if 9.1 will bring any improvement to the situation of creating a full disk geom mirror while also using GPT partition table?

I'm curious about what this is about. Could you refer me to an article
or a discussion where this issue is described ?

The GPT backup partition tables goes at the end of a disk, the same
place gmirror(8) and other GEOM modules keep metadata.  If GPT
partitions are created inside a mirror, the backup GPT table is no
longer at the end of the disk.  Hiroki Sato created a patch which fixed
the gptboot complaints, but there was concern about the nonstandard
location of the backup table.

At present, MBR partitioning is recommended with gmirror(8).

I've been reading your article on formatting disks in FreeBSD:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

It's a great description of using gpart to create GPT partitions, and using fdisk and bsdlabel to create MBR partitions.

Thanks!

Would you still recommend this method, using fdisk and bsdlabel, for MRB setup?

For drives with 512-byte blocks, they are equivalent. Only gpart can align the bsdlabel partitions to 4K.

Do you have any docs on setting up MBR using gpart, to allign for 4K sector size drives?

This is a copy from the update of the gmirror section I'm planning to commit to the Handbook. For a single drive, replace mirror/gm0 with just the drive name, like ada4.

# create the MBR and add a FreeBSD slice
gpart create -s MBR mirror/gm0
gpart add -t freebsd -a 4k mirror/gm0

# create the bsdlabel partitions in slice 1 (s1)
gpart create -s BSD mirror/gm0s1
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 2g mirror/gm0s1
gpart add -t freebsd-swap -a 4k -s 4g mirror/gm0s1
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 2g mirror/gm0s1
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 1g mirror/gm0s1
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k       mirror/gm0s1

# put bootcode on the MBR and mark the first slice active
gpart bootcode -b /boot/mbr mirror/gm0
gpart set -a active -i 1 mirror/gm0

# put bootcode on the bsdlabel
gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot mirror/gm0s1