On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Shane Ambler wrote:

On 22/11/2012 14:49, Warren Block wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012, Warren Block wrote:

Got a chance to set up a scratch drive and check this.  Turns out
I left out the step of creating a "slice" (MBR partition) to hold
the FreeBSD partitions.  Also, GPT labels cannot be used in an
MBR. Fixed below.  I will probably add this to my disk setup
article because it has come up more than once.

The fdisk/bsdlabel section of my disk setup article has been
rewritten to use gpart.  Feedback welcome.

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

Something I meant to ask before - is there any benefit to following the
steps described in
http://www.aisecure.net/2012/01/16/rootzfs/

My guide is based on using UFS. ZFS or other filesystems will also benefit from block alignment, but the methods to get there can be different.

The step of using gnop is meant to trick zfs into believing the disk has
4K sector size to improve performance, which I would think zfs would be
able to figure out by talking to the disk.

Unless ZFS is put on a bare, unpartitioned disk, configuration for performance is better left to the user. It's a pain to correct automatic configs when they guess wrong.

Does partitioning hide the sector size or would the step of aligning
the partition start to a 4k sector unhide the 4k size?
Or are these steps just a waste of time?

It's not about hiding the device's native block size, it's about getting the filesystem to do aligned I/O so the device can just read or write a single 4K block instead of part of one and part of another.