On 2012-12-29 12:45, Fbsd8 wrote:
Polytropon wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:05:30 -0500, Fbsd8 wrote:
Mike Jeays wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 12:13:32 -0500
Fbsd8 <fb...@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

I don't have static ip address so I can not find out for myself.
Lets say I am a company that my ISP has assigned us
25 static ip address.

When I issue the ifconfig command what will it show me?

Just the single primary static ip address or all 25 of them in a list?

Thanks
It will just show the one currently assigned.

Try it - just bring up an xterm and type 'ifconfig' You don't have to be root, and you can't do any harm.

em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
        ether 08:00:27:40:ca:a9
inet 10.0.2.15 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255 # HERE IT IS
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        status: active

Nope 10.0.2.15 is a private lan IP address, its not public routable. question has to be answered by some body who has multiple static public routable ip address assigned by their ISP.
The presented example simply shows a typical ifconfig output.
On the "inet" line, you can see the assigned IP addresses.
As per definition, one interface can be assigned more than
one IP address, and maybe those will show in the ifconfig
output - however, this depends on your actual setup, for
example when you have specific network gear that "translates"
one or more static IP addresses into local addresses that
are _then_ assigned to individual network interfaces.
However, at my old location I had assigned one static IP
address directly delivered to the NIC, and ifconfig did
show exactly that address.
Simply try "ifconfig" and show what it prints for YOU.

Yes I understand all that, but lets go deeper into difference between
static and dynamic ip address assigned by the ISP.

For anyone being a professional company who wants permanent presents
on the internet will pay extra fees for static ip
address because static ip address never change and this is required for domain name registration. Dynamic ip address are normally assigned by the ISP for home users having dsl or tv cable internet connections. Dynamic ip address can change and if used for domain name registration the users
FQDN will no longer point to the correct host.

Now to return to the original question.
Say I am a professional company and my ISP assigned me 25 static ip address. What will ifconfig show me on the interface facing the public internet? Just the single primary static ip address or all 25 of them in a list?

It still all depends on your configuration, it won't look any different than a static private IP address shows when doing an ifconfig except it will be the public IP. Generally if you have a static IP you will have to set it manually, and it won't get it via DHCP. But I have worked with some DSL connections though that assigned the static IP through a DHCP reservation based on your modem/routers MAC address. However that would only work for a single IP. If you get 25, you can assign those with aliases to make a single server answer on the others as well, common for servers hosting multiple https web sites.

Here's an example with Aliases, its from a LAN with private range, but would look no different except IPs if it was public range addresses. This is from my web/email server (the very one this message comes from), the secondary IP is for running jails, when testing upgrades.

LAN: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000 options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC>
        ether 00:07:e9:09:be:4f
        inet 192.168.5.21 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.5.255
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        status: active

Here's an example from a public range, pulled this from my pfSense box, which is on a Cable Connection with a block of 5 static IP Addresses.

vr1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8280b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
        ether 00:0d:b9:1c:78:2d
        inet 24.240.198.186 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 24.240.198.191
        inet6 fe80::20d:b9ff:fe1c:782d%vr1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        nd6 options=43<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
        status: active

There's just a single IP set, though it does relay connections on other IPs, using proxy arp to do this so there is no need for an alias to be defined.

--
Thanks,
   Dean E. Weimer