--On January 2, 2013 1:46:25 PM -0600 Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_li...@tx.rr.com> wrote:

--On January 2, 2013 8:18:38 PM +0100 andreas scherrer
<ascher...@gmail.com> wrote:

on 2.1.13 19:15  Paul Schmehl said the following:
--On January 2, 2013 6:45:50 PM +0100 andreas scherrer
And from experience this is what it will do: replace
/boot/kernel/kernel which is my custom kernel with a GENERIC kernel.

As it seems that freebsd-update works by comparing a hash of
/boot/kernel/kernel with the GENERIC kernel's hash I checked the md5
and sha1 hash of /boot/kernel/kernel and /boot/GENERIC/kernel. They
differ (see [3]).

So why is freebsd-update going to overwrite my custom kernel? And how
can I prevent it from doing so?

Read man (5) freebsd-update.conf.  Particularly the COMPONENTS portion
that explains how to update world without changing kernel.

Thanks for pointing this out. I might change my freebsd-update.conf to
not update the kernel. But still I believe this to be more of a kludge
than a solution: in my opinion the handbook suggests that a custom
kernel should be detected and left alone. But at the same time a GENERIC
kernel in /boot/GENERIC should be patched.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
-----

That needs to be updated.

However, freebsd-update will detect and update the GENERIC kernel in
/boot/GENERIC (if it exists), even if it is not the current (running)
kernel of the system.
-----

Furthermore if I remove the kernel option from the COMPONENTS in
freebsd-update.conf I think I will not get the kernel source patches
anymore, right? Which in turn means I have to get them via some other
mechanism, no?

See UpdateIfUnmodified in the man page.  You can specify a regex pattern
that prevents the kernel from being modified but still downloads the
sources.

I wasn't thinking when I wrote this. Freebsd-update pulls *binary* copies of files, so you're not ever going to get the src files to rebuild your kernel from freebsd-update. You need to pull those in using svn.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst