On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

I had to do a "portsnap fetch update" to compile icedtea-web and run into a dependency hell. Most apps can't be launched anymore. When I deinstall, recompile the new versions and install them, I have tons of dependencies for each app.

portsnap fetch update just updates the ports tree. It's when you build new ports or update old ones that problems can arise. A short article on port upgrading: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/portupgrade.html

Is there a way to automatically recompile all broken apps and dependencies?

Depends on what you mean by broken, but portmaster and portupgrade are both made to deal with that. pkg_libchk from sysutils/bsdadminscripts is very useful for finding ports that still depend on old, missing libraries and need to be rebuilt.