Xavier <xavierfreebsdquesti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 03:13:58PM +0100, Fabian Keil wrote:
>
> Hi Fabian,
>
> > Xavier <xavierfreebsdquesti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way to control the on and off the fan on a laptop using
> > > FreeBSD?
> >
> > It depends on the laptop. On mine it works:
> >
> > fk@r500 ~ $sysctl -ad | grep fan
> > dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: Fan speed
> > dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: Fan level
> > dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: Fan enable
> >

> My output of 'sysctl -ad | grep fan' don't show these parameters. Why ?
> Because, my BIOS don't support these aparameters ? Another answer ?

acpi_ibm(4) is a kernel module that isn't loaded by default.

Depending on your hardware you may have to kldload a different
module. You could try:

ls /boot/kernel/acpi_*.ko

and then kldload the module you think makes sense for your hardware.
Note that not all modules have fan control, though.

As I only use IBM and Lenovo laptops I'm not familiar with
the other modules.

Fabian