On 29 January 2013, at 20:25, d...@safeport.com wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Doug Hardie wrote:
>
>> On 29 January 2013, at 07:18, Mario Lobo wrote:

> What is the system you are using? What external devices does it have built-in
> support for? In the absence of any data - how about trying an external hard
> drive?

9.1 release - Generic.  Basically the disk1.  Don't have an extra external
drive.

> Why not remove the hard drive, use another system to put FreeBSD on the
> drive, and put it back. From that point on you should be able to use the
> network to upgrade.

I have done that before and it does work.  However,  with the various changes
to the system, the root partition I had previously built that way for 8.2 is
just not large enough for 9.1.  Also, I wanted to go to a single partition (the
9.1 default).  Probably freebsd-update will take me through major releases
after this, but I was hoping for a better solution so I could avoid having to
transport the machine a long way twice to be able to update it.