On Sunday 08 June 2003 20:28, you wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 07:48:36PM +0400, Vladik Kozin wrote:
> >     Are such devices as for instance, IBM MagicKey, PQI Intelligent Stick,
> > USBdrive, ThumbDrive and other USB Flash Memory Drives, supported by
> > FreeBSD.  I know most of them are supported by Linux, so one doesn't have
> > to install any drivers before use.
> >     I've checked Hardware Notes for both 4.8 and 5.0 Releases - nothing
> > approprate :(
>
> Hi Vladik,
>
> funnily enough, this has just been discussed over on the -stable list.  The
> consensus seems to be that most USB mass storage devices will just work --
> especially those that don't need any special drivers on Windows or (better
> yet) Linux.  This has certainly been my experience with various memory card
> readers and 'pen drives'.
>
> Some devices might need a 'quirk' entry adding to the kernel to cope with
> their particular weirdness.  These are pretty easy to add if you don't mind
> rebuilding your kernel.

        I surely never mind doing this :) Once you've got a working source for your
kernel, you'll never get into big problems, cause each time you need to add
only a few strings. So, you always can say which strings happened to become a
problem.

> I fully agree that the existing documentation isn't as helpful as it could
> be.  I was going to put together some changes to make it clearer what is
> actually supported, which you have now reminded me about :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
>       Scott

        Thanks for you answer. I was going to buy one of those 'pen drives' for
myself. Nothing seems to prevent me from doing this now :) I believe its
always a good idea to check the compatibility of the hardware one's going to
buy with the OS used.
        Best regards. Vladik