On Mon, 4 Mar 2013, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

So, um, I was reading about this last night, but I was sleepy and my eyes
glazed over... Please remind me, what is the exact procedire for turning
off the journaling?   I boot to single user mode (from a live cd?) and
then what?  Is it tunefs with some special option?

Just boot in single user mode so all the filesystems are unmounted or mounted readonly. Then use 'tunefs -j disable /dev/...'. It will also mention the name of the journal file, which can be deleted.

Use the latest net/rsync port, and enable the FLAGS option.  I use these
options, copying each filesystem individually:

-axHAXS --delete --fileflags --force-change

Hummm... I guess that I have some non-current rsync installed.  In the man
page I have there is no mention of any "--force-change" option.  What does
it do?

"affect user/system immutable files/dirs". Probably only included in the man page when the port is built with the FLAGS option set.

An additional note: the script that runs my rsync backup also modifies the mirrored /etc/fstab to use the appropriate labels for the backup filesystems.