On 7 mrt 2013, at 16:58, Johan Hendriks wrote:

> Ruben de Groot schreef:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just rented a 9.1-release VPS and was trying to install some packages.
>> This however does not work as there is no directory "packages-9.1-release"
>> on the ftp server (ftp.freebsd.org). Why is this?

> There was a security issue and therefor there are no packages for 9.1
>

> Due to the security incident reported here:
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/news/2012-compromise.html
>
> only the small third-party package set on the DVD image is available at this
> time for users who require pre-built packages (just GNOME and KDE windowing
> systems). The FreeBSD Project's package building infrastructure is undergoing
> a complete review and redesign. At this time we can not commit to a date the
> full release package set will become available. A separate announcement will
> be made when that becomes available. If you wish to install 9.1-RELEASE now
> you can build your own packages using portsnap(8) to obtain an up to date
> ports tree and then build the packages. If you require pre-built packages you
> should wait for the announcement of the full release package set becoming
> available.
>
> FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE can also be purchased on CD-ROM or DVD from several
> vendors. One of the vendors that will be offering FreeBSD 9.1-based products
> is:

Thanks for the info Johan. I was aware of the compromise, just not of it still
affecting the package building for 9.1 release.
No problem, there's no absolute requirement for pre-build packages here, so I
installed some tools from packages-9-stable by setting PACKAGESITE and building
the rest now from ports.

cheers,
Ruben