On 4/4/2013 3:32 μμ, Mark Felder wrote:
Hi all,

Hopefully someone here is much more clever than I am. I've run out of
ideas on how to cleanly convert this chunk of ksh to posix sh. This is
from a BB/Hobbit/Xymon monitoring script for ZFS. I'd really like to
have this working cleanly on FreeBSD without requiring any funky shells
or using any temporary files.

The following is supposed to be able to loop through the output of
multiple zpools reading one line at a time and each line item is set as
a variable:

/sbin/zpool list -H | while read name size used avail cap dedup health
altroot
do
   # do interesting things here
done

Unfortunately you can't pipe through read in posix sh.

I am not sure about posix compliance but I haven't seen a bourne-like
shell not supporting the "prog | while read a b c ..." syntax.
FreeBSD's /bin/sh supports this.

Did you mean something else, did I
misunderstand your question?

Nikos