On 4/5/2013 7:51 AM, Walter Hurry wrote:
On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 14:57:57 -0400, doug wrote:

My questions: Does/will pkgng work? Are 9.1 packages on the ISO images?
I am in the progess of answering that one for myself but had some time
on my hands during the download :)

Prebuilt packages are on the way apparently, but I have made my own
repository anyway for the 600-odd packages which I and my users need -
thus I compile from ports once only (all are 9.1-RELEASE x86_64).

It works well, and is not difficult.

I've been using FreeBSD since the summer of 2005, I still have the first cd-r I used. The fact that it's so easy makes me wonder why it hasn't been done yet. It's been almost five months. I used the repository, but I'm working on my own now that I have plenty of ram to do it. In the time since then, every FreeBSD machine could have updated from source the base and all packages. The ports tree is still updated, the source tree is still updated, so both should be presumed to be safe. Recently the FreeBSD website had some downtime from using -CURRENT, and apache hasn't been taken offline for five months, and aren't those two things all you really need to distribute ports?