Bill:
>> 1. As I understand it you can install Virtual Box from the ports
>> collection.
That port or a good numbr of other VMWare apps exist in the ports tree - you
are not restricted to V-Box.

Starting the virtual machines is not xorg/login dependent. You can do this
for any service through rc.conf
So edit your /etc/rc.conf and insert whatevername_enable="YES" to auto-start
the service. The whatevername can be found by looking in /etc/rc.d for
base-system included services or /usr/local/etc/rc.d for services installed
through ports.

>> 2. Once installed, I will be able to install something like Fedora or
>> openSUSE?
Yes, that's the whole idea behind VM's. Since SQL is needed, you will then
have to install & configure the mysql package for fedore/suse inside the VM.
Installing mySQL from FreeBSD ports won't be of any good for the client's
requirements.

3. 9-stable should do the job

4. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

Finally: posted in an unrelated thread - you would have gotten better
answers by starting your own.

Good Luck.

-----
10-Current-amd64-using ccache-portstree merged with marcuscom.gnome3 &
xorg.devel