On 07/16/13 21:27, Johan Hendriks wrote:
Op dinsdag 16 juli 2013 schreef Charles Swiger (cswi...@mac.com) het
volgende:

Hi--

On Jul 16, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Johan Hendriks
<joh.hendr...@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
wrote:
[ ... ]
I would us a zfs for the os.
I have a couple of servers that did not survive a power failure with
gmirror.
The problems i had was when the power failed one disk was in a rebuilding
state and then when the background fsck started or was busy for some time
it would crash the whole server.

Well, "don't do that".  :-)

When the server reboots because of a powerfailure at night, then it boots.
Then it starts to rebuild the mirror on its own, and later the fsck kicks
in.

Not much i can do about it.

You could add geom_journal which will minimize the time of fsck to a second or something like that. Then you don't have to use background fsck anymore.

Actually geom_journal's manual page mentions an interesting
side-effect of geom_journal over a geom_mirror:

        you can turn off component synchronization.

Geom_journal will re-play last writes so whatever was
changed just before the crash will be re-written to both disks.
I haven't used this but it makes sense in theory.

Maybe i should have done it without the automatic attachment for a new
device.

I always turn off automatic synchronization or stale components
as well.

It seems to me that people don't really use geom_journal
or maybe they just don't talk about it like it's some
sort of secret:)

just my two cents,

Nikos