On Sun, 28 Jul 2013, Polytropon wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:39:30 +0200 (CEST), Conny Andersson wrote:

A very important question is if sysinstall's option "Install the FreeBSD
Boot Manager" detects that I have a FreeBSD 8.3 and detect it as slice 2 on
disk 1?

I'm not sure I'm following you correctly. The sysinstall program
is considered obsolete, the new system installer is bsdinstall.

AFAIK, sysinstall is still used in FreeBSD 8.X, and bsdinstall does not have a boot manager option anyway.

So it becomes a boot option when I am rebooting? (Maybe the slice
may come up as ad6s2, because AHCI in FreeBSD 8.4 isn't enabled at the time
of the install.)

Sorry, I don't understand this at all. AHCI should not be involved with identifying slices.

That is a _good_ consideration! To make sure things work independently
from "boot-time recognition", use labels for the file system and then
mount them by using the labels. Encode the OS version number in the
labels, so it's even easier to deal with them. Use "newfs -L" on
un-mounted partitions (you can do that from the install media).

For existing filesystems, that would be tunefs -L. And agreed, filesystem labels make relocation much easier.