On Aug 3, 2013, at 7:11 PM, Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-...@fjl.co.uk> wrote:

> The answer isn't (AFAIK) newsy slog

I did some more digging on the whole log piping thing and apache includes a
nifty little application called rotatelogs which lives in
/usr/local/sbin/rotatelogs on my system that I built form the ports. From the
man page:

NAME
         rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs
SYNOPSIS
        rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -f ] logfile rotationtime|filesizeM [ offset ]
SUMMARY
        rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's
piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum
size of the log.

It looks pretty simple to use just create your log format directive like:

        LogFormat "%t \"%r\" %>s \"%{Referer}i\" %b" SpecialFormat

        CustomLog "| /usr/local/sbin/rotatelogs /var/log/httpd-access.log
86400" SpecialFormat

I hope that helps. I know I shall be experimenting with this one tomorrow.

Regards,
Mikel King
BSD News Network
http://bsdnews.net