On 28. sep. 2013, at 15:50, Frank Leonhardt <fra...@fjl.co.uk> wrote:

> Given that BIND can happily listen on ports other than 53 and OpenBSD allows
> a port to be specified against each nameserver in resolv.conf, it does not
> seem an unreasonable question to me.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding...

Not sure if I misunderstood what you're trying to do, but the way I recall it,
you have two boxes, one running with one recursive and one authoritative
nameserver, and you wanted a second box to quey the recursive nameserver on the
first box, which is running on another port than 53?

Given your setup, that's a valid question.

It's getting down to patching the resolver I felt was a bit overkill, and a
possible source of future pain.

How to solve it is a perfectly valid question.

Personally I'd just think it cleaner to solve it by running a caching resolver
on the second host (on port 53), that could forward queries where you'd like,
rather than patching or usik firewall redirects.

Terje