Doug Hardie wrote:
>>> The Thick Plottens…
>>> I received the drives and installed them on a working system.  The
>>> failed system is structured with a single partition for the system and
>>> another for swap.  For some unknown reason, the BIOS got left
>>> configured to boot the extra disk if its powered up.  That turns out
>>> to be handy.  I can boot a working system with the corrupt drive
>>> powered off.
>>> Booting from the corrupt drive yields the normal hardware info
>>> followed by the Beastie image and immediately by a multitude of lines
>>> (repeated many times):
>>> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
>>> BIOS drive C: is disk0
>>> BIOS drive D: is disk1
>>> BIOS 639kB/1037824kB available memory
>>> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>>> (d...@zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
>>> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
>>> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>>> I was able to capture these by using a serial console connected to
>>> another computer.  The lines only appear on the serial console once.
>>> They scroll by on the real console many time - all too fast to read
>>> anything.  Then after a few seconds of that, the screen goes black,
>>> and the system reboots.  The cycle then repeats…  Pressing any key
>>> does nothing.  I even filled the keyboard buffer with spaces hoping to
>>> stop boot, but nothing seems to stop it.
>>> I checked and the freebsd-update.conf include world sys and src.  I
>>> rebuild everything after removing /obj just for grins and giggles.  I
>>> have installed the kernel and world using DESTDIR to put it on the
>>> corrupt drive.  Same messages again.
>>> I now have the corrupt drive mounted on /mnt and am trying to update
>>> the src again.  Using:
>>> freebsd-update -b /mnt fetch
>>>     updated files list show /usr/src/sys…
>>>     and updating to 9.1-RELEASE-p7
>>> freebsd-update -b /mnt install
>>>     This is running slower than molasses in January.  Its run for almost
>>> 30 minutes and only 3 files have been updated.  There must be network
>>> issues between me and the server.  I'll let it run tonight but I am
>>> going to crash now.  Long day.  More tomorrow.
>>> -- Doug
>>
>> Have you checked the dmesg output, specifically to see if there are any disk
>> errors, perhaps the hard drive is about dead.  If you are planning to
>> rebuild world and kernel form source, why not just use svn or extract the
>> source from the 9.2-RELEASE disk onto the system.
>
> There are no hardware errors logged.  The drive is only a couple months old.
> Smart drive status is good.
>
> I tried downloading the src with:
>
> svn co https://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/releng/9.2 /mnt/usr/src
>
> I didn't get Release 9.2. The first entry in UPDATING is:
>
> 20130705:
>         hastctl(8)'s `status' command output changed to terse one-liner
> format.
> [...]
Hello Doug,

Here is a more recent version of the file on svn:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/UPDATING?revision=255900&view=markup

Earlier today I also checked out base for releng/9.2 from the same
mirror, svn0.us-west.  My UPDATING file is outdated too.  Time of the
last entry is 20130705.

The mirror told me that I had checked out revision 256150.

When running "freebsd-update upgrade -r RELEASE-9.2" last
night it gave :

WARNING: This system is running a "customcl" kernel, which is not a
kernel configuration distributed as part of FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE.
This kernel will not be updated: you MUST update the kernel manually
before running "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".

That might have been expected, but I have read on this list that
freebsd-update will sometimes automatically replace a custom kernel with
a generic, and in /etc/freebsd-update.conf I had the line:

Components src world kernel  .

HTH,

Cary
--