One of the things I simply haven't been able to figure out yet,
and can't find any documentation for, is how to set up printing
from KDE on FreeBSD. KDE's docs claim that it has an "Add printer"
wizard, but this utility seems to be absent from the FreeBSD port...
as are the drivers for specific printers (in this case, they need
to print to HP LaserJets using PCL4). Does anyone out there know
(a) where the missing utility and drivers are; and (b) how to
configure them?

Forsake the wizard for ports/print/apsfilter and lpd

KDE works perfectly for me, but I had 2 KDE related printing problems...

First: many programs default to A4 paper size, and
Second: in konqueror the default "print to UNIX LPD Print System"
 option was using some strange set of options, that would not work.
 I changed the setting to "Print Through an External Program" and
 just set it to lpr and it works fine.