Vulpes Velox wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:07:50 -0400
Dragoncrest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ok, I've gotta convince my boss to switch from windows 2000 to freebsd for all our internal needs. So far I've half convinced him, but I've hit a snag. I know that Samba can be used for a lot of things, and I'm trying to tell him all the things that Samba will do, but I can't think of many. Can you guys name all the uses for samba? I've already talked him into replacing our windows firewall, mail and other basic servers with freebsd, but we've still got a couple of domain servers to get rid of and I know that Samba can replace them as well. Can you guys help me out here? Maybe toss in a little TCO jargon so that he sees it both from a technical side as well as what matters most ot him. Money. THanks!!

Samba... 1: Printer sharing 2: file sharing/network drive

Since you are asking this, I would really suggest holding off awhile befor
pushing for it. I would suggest toying around with it, learning it, and then
pushing it.

You might want to look at:

http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/bookshelf/articles/Samba.html

Perhaps you might want to lean on the reason why it is better as much as all the things it can do. Cost is always a good reason for bosses ;)

- J