Dan Nelson wrote:

> Actually it doesn't.  You get this result because sh splits variables
> on $IFS before passing the result to a command, so what echo gets is
>  argv[1]="-f \"t"
>  argv[2]="\""

I come to the conclusion that there's no intuitive solution in a
tcsh script for

   set foo='-f "a  "'

My unix knowledge tells me the following should work:

   set foo="-f\ \"a\ \ \""

but tcsh does not allow these escape sequences; the backslashes
become real backslashes and an error occurs on too many
quotes.

Another odd behaviour occurs when I say:

  set foo="a    b            c"

which tcsh reduces to "a b c", despite the quotes.

I'd say very un-unix like behaviours....

Rob.