george donnelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on 7/31/03 6:44 PM]
>
> > If you want a GUI, try GNU Emacs or XEmacs. I prefer GNU Emacs, but I suggest
> > you try both (if you are looking for a GUI).
> > If you don't want a GUI, and if you are not looking for Emacs' massive
> > extensibility, there are several curses-based "lookalikes" of Emacs, that
> > share Emacs' look and feel, but do not feature its lisp interpreter, and thus
> > much of its extensibility; on the other hand, they tend be more...
> > ressource-friendly than emacs. Among these smaller versions I know of zile
> > (zile is lossy emacs) and µemacs (micro emacs), though I have tried neither.
>
> thanks for the feedback. gui is not important, i guess i'm just looking for
> the neat features that everyone talks about - and with a minimum of resource
> usage as i would like to install it on a webserver as well so clients can
> use it over ssh.

What kind of bandwidth do your users have? e.g., right now I am using
    emacs over ssh to a friends box, where the limiting bandwidth is
    128kbits/s (that's the upstream dsl on the remote end.), and I
    find it usable. However if your users will be comming in via
    modem, IMO, modern emacs is no longer usable over modem (though
    older emmacs were).