Khairil Yusof wrote:

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 22:07, Bob Perry wrote:

I run FreeBSD 4.7 RELEASE. Just ran the portversion command for the first time since last Saturday and the ouptut indicated that my installed packages were up-to-date. Thought it odd so I ran pkg_version command and picked up 9 packages in need up upgrade and several "orphaned" packages listed. Is there a known problem with the portupgrade system or was there some warning I missed previously?

If I'm not wrong, portversion/pkg_version relies on ports index (man 8 portupgrade) which needs to be up to date in order for portversion to be accurate. This is not done on a daily basis for the ports tree (as it takes some time).

What you should try to do is check that your pkgdb is ok and fix any
problems:

#pkgdb -F

then update the ports index (which takes a while)

#portsdb -Uu

Then run your portversion/pkg_version which should give more accurate
results.

Hope this helps.

First, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yesterday, I brought all of my packages up-to-date, ran pkgdb -F, followed by portsdb -Uu
and rhe output from both portversion and pkg_version matched. I slept well.

This morning, portversion indicated that all packages were current but pkg_version showed
p5-Date-Manip-5.40 needed to be upgraded to 5.42. I ran portupgrade expecting to receive a
message indicating that the package was current, but instead, it fetched, built, installed,
p5-Date-Manip-5.42 and I thought, removed p5-Date-Manip-5.40.

I ran portversion again and it indicates that "p5-Date-Manip-5.42 > succeeds port (port has 5.40)".
Pkg_version shows p5-Date-Manip-5.42 is up-to-date with port.

Looks as though the portversion program may not be reading the port tree accurately (?).

I'll have to do more investigation. Maybe I broke something. Thanks again.

Bob