OK, this is difficult to explain and my problem is probably bigger than what I have found but here goes. I have a dedicated 5.1 FreeBSD box and when I did a dmesg I received a repeating message as follows:
arplookup 66.246.xx.1 failed: host is not on local network
This peaked my curiosity so I pinged the bank of IP's I have in the range of that IP and I was able to ping them with a response.
Something quick I can do to test to see if the IP will bind is compile an IRC bouncer. I found the bouncer would not bind to the IP 66.246.xx.185 as a normal account user and the bouncer would not function. If I SU to root and start the bouncer the IP would bind and the bouncer would function correctly. It should be noted that the bouncer was compiled as the normal account user.
I have two different sets of IP's on my box and I have added them in the rc.conf in the following way:
ifconfig_sis0_alias10="inet 209.123.xx.200 netmask 255.255.255.255"
ifconfig_sis0_alias11="inet 66.246.xx.185 netmask 255.255.255.255"
Do I have the IP's added wrong in rc.conf? What am I doing wrong? Why do I receive the dmesg which appears to be an error? Any assistance would be appreciated.