Hello,

I thought I more or less understand how to handle these things in X,
but I am totally puzzled here.

For me, there are three crucial files

/etc/ttys:
        ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config:
        ! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
        ! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
        !DisplayManager.requestPort:    0

and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess:
        * #any host can get a login window
        * CHOOSER BROADCAST #any indirect host can get a chooser

At startup, I get an xdm/Xlogin on screen on display :0. With the above settings I expect the following should work for creating another Xlogin screen

X :1 -query localhost

Indeed it switches screen, but it is blank only; even no error messages from X. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob.

PS: Unrelated: have you noticed the error message in /var/log/xdm.log
        xdm error (pid 157): extra arguments on command line:
        xdm error (pid 157):  "ttyv8"
        xdm error (pid 157):
Is this some miscommunication between init, /etc/ttys and xdm ?