Kent Stewart wrote:
On Monday 22 September 2003 08:45 pm, cuddlesomebunny wrote:

Could anybody explain to me what is up with ports?

I am using FreeBSD 5.x-p2 and I am using ports and am having one hell
of a time installing things.

Here's what is happeng.

I go to install ports and if it needs to get a dependency it goes and
fetches it and becomes the usual compile process. Except that the
dependency might already be installed with the exact version required
and so most of the time the ports error out telling me I need to make
deinstall on some dependency then make reinstall on it.

And don't even get me started on installing Apache. I tried
installing mod_php4 but before hand installed apache+ssl and so then
mod_php4 doesn't even see that apache is already installed and then
fetches the version it wants thus blowing out the apache+ssl and I
have to then reinstall that package to get ssl and apache.

If I do things with /stand/sysinstall it errors out on a dependency
if it is already installed instead of ignoring the fact that it is
already there and errors out. This particular behavour started around
4.8 or so. Maybe earlier but I don't seem to recall exactly when this
started to happen.

I tried using the portupgrade stuffs but that just seems to make
things worse overall.

Anybody got any hints as to why it seems ports is having these sorts
of problems?

I don't have any idea what you problem is; however, there is an ongoing discussion on -current with people having port problems. What I remember is that the freeze has them locked and they can't patch the ports to build and install on -current until the port freeze is over. You might be caught by this problem or something entirely different.

Kent

Mmmmm, could be. But would that explain why /stand/sysinstall can't install something just because a given dependency exists already on the system?

CS. Bunny.