* William O'Higgins:

> I did a bit of searching, but  I didn't find any real *advice* on what
> process to  use, and most  of the tools that  I found are  for viewing
> PDFs, not writing them.

Have a look at DocBook.  You will need FreeBSD packages docbook-xml (the
DTD),  docbook-xsl (stylesheets  for  generating HTML  and FO),  libxslt
(contains an XSLT processor invoked with xsltproc), and fop (converts FO
to PDF).   FO is  an intermediate document  format, it  means Formatting
Objects.

If you  don't mind  writing HTML,  you will  surely also  accept writing
XML.  If you are interested in  Docbook, I suggest reading Bob Stayton's
excellent book: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

Best regards,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot