Hi,

I am new to using FreeBSD as a Workstation, although i have used FreeBSD for servers for various reasons for years. I have come into a few problems now i have pissed off M$ completely. [can't teach an old dog new tricks]

Running FreeBSD 5.1 on an Intel D45PESV mainboard. [onboard sound AC97 AC1981B]

i have no sound and i cannot browse my network machines in gnome. Everything seems to work just fine, just that i get an error upon starting gnome [something about the mixer] and when i go to add a network server i get nothing. I have noticed that logged in as 'root' i can see them, just not connect.

i have no idea about testing sound outside of a GUI so i dont know about it being Gnome related...

help!