Jacob Rieper wrote:

I am having trouble getting my soundcard to work in 5.1 stable. It didn't automatically detect the Soundblaster Live card so I added it to the kernel with kldload snd_emu10k1.ko and rebooted. It then shows up under pcm0 like this

pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xd400-0xd41f irq 11 at device 1.0 on pci2
pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4297A AC97 Codec>

Looking through usenet, it seems I should run MAKEDEV snd0 or something in /dev to create the mixer and stuff. However, MAKEDEV has been removed from 5.1.

Help!

Have you tried the official instructions on http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html ?
You'll see that FreeBSD 5.0 and later do not need to use MAKEDEV, because devfs(5) automatically creates device nodes.

I don't know if this helps you much further, but now you know you don't have to worry about MAKEDEV.

Regards,

Rick Hoppe