hello..

I am using FreeBSD as my desktop.  I'm looking for help to print as a user
from KDE.  I can generate a test print from Apsfilter just fine in the shell
using the setup script.

I think I either do not have a spooler set up right, or a permission perhaps.
I also don't really know what I should select for the printer in KDE or if
there should be a command line entry.

I did have the sample lp setup in my printcap file at one point, currently
that is commented out.

I'm Running:
        FreeBSD â Current (5.1)
        Printer Canon BJC-610
        Parallel /dev/lp0
        LPD on start up
        Ghostscript-gnu

As SU checking for the lpt:
        freebie# dmesg | grep lpt
        lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
        lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
        freebie# ls -l /dev/lpt0
        crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   0 Oct 29 09:09 /dev/lpt0

From Apsfilter setup:
        Checking permissions of /usr/local/share/apsfilter
        found dir owner=root, ok!
        found dir group=wheel, ok!
        changing permissions of /usr/local/share/apsfilter... done.

        Now we are checking file permissions in spooldir

        Your line printer scheduler's spooldir seems to be: /var/spool/lpd

        drwxrwxrwx  2 root  daemon  512 Oct 17 01:25 /var/spool/lpd

        The Owner of your spooldir seems to be: root
        The Group of your spooldir seems to be: daemon

First time through on test print returns a printer busy and resets printer
Second time through works fine
I reset printers as suggested in setup

From KDE 3.1.4

using OpenOffice â Writer, from open document
        selected âGeneric Printer.â
        Windows fly by but nothing happens.  As I understand it, generic printer
should be lpd and should be captured by Apsfilter.

using Kmail, selected
        print through external program, ps (only possible selection: postscript
printer, reports idle, accepting jobs), print command line empty.
        Reports generating print file, then:
A print error occured. Error message received from system:
Empty print command.

Using Kmail, selecting Generic LPD print system, no device, no option to
 print

Using Kmail, cannot select LPR/LPRng (port not installed at this time, will
not compile on 5.1) â not an Apsfilter issue obviously.

Using KDE Control Center, peripherals, printer
Print Through External Program, PS_printer (only device available)
Unable to send, empty print command

Any help or config file to check would be greatly appreciated.
--
Regards,

MIKE...
Make your Information your KnowlEDGE