I installed linux_dri and that did the trick. The game runs badly, I get horrible lag, but I think it my be the network. My X server also has problems at resolution at 1024x768, it tends to freze up the whole system, well at least the terminals. And when using dri, the X server can only be started once, if I close it and restart it agian it doesn't work correctly. Rebooting it fixes it. I will try a local game with a friend later. Thanks for the help.

--James