[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I cannot get GDM2 to work on neither 4.9(nor 5.1.)
>
> GDM chrashes at boot time no matter what I do.
>
> I use the gnome2-2.4.0 package. I have tried to install it at install time(which
> results in the gdm users not being created), installed it afterwards and compiled it
> from source(using ports), but the result is the same: gdm chrashes X at boot time.
>
> I have followed the instructions given at package install, that is copied the
> /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh.sample to /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh. I have also copied
> the /usr/x11R6/etc/gdm/factory-gdm.conf to /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf. I have not
> touched the /etc/ttys file, it is vanilla as installed.
>
> I have searched the net in vain for any tips on how to fix this, the only things I
> have found are the ones I have tried already. The pam fix(from
> http://people.freebsd.org/~marcus/pam_get_user.c.diff
> ) should not apply to 4.9 so I have not treid that.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try starting not starting gdm at boot, and kicking it off later.  This
will enable you to get a better view of what breaks.  You should also
look at the gdm logs, and possibly the X logs.

Personally, I use xdm, so I don't have much help specific to gdm.
However, you might try xdm to see if the problem is with gdm or more
directly related to X.