On Nov 27, 2003, at 5:44 AM, Sander Smeenk wrote:

Hi,

I recently installed a Dual P4 2.8ghz with FBSD 4.9 and made a RAID10
array of the 4 scsi disks available. The idea was that this would be
faster to read from than normal IDE disks. As a test I took the
company's web/ directory, which is 1.6gb in size and has 22082 files.

<snip>

I know it's not the most sophisticated test, but at least it shows that
on the IDE disk, this 'test' took 24 seconds to complete. On the RAID10
array it took a whopping 73 seconds to complete.

I would understand if the RAID10 array was as fast as IDE, or faster,
but i'm a bit amazed by these results. The RAID10 array was built on 4x
36.7gb Ultra320 SCSI disks, connected to an Adaptec 39320D Ultra320 SCSI
adapter, which is a PCI-X card, configured in a PCI-X slot.

Try creating the same vinum set using 4 ATA100 disks and see what happens when compared to your UeberSCSI vinum set...

Chad