On Sunday, December 14, 2003, at 12:10 AM, paul beard wrote:
On Dec 13, 2003, at 8:50 PM, Jaime wrote:
current process = 26642 (perl5.00503)

any idea what perl-based job is running and if moving to a newer perl version would have any effect at all?

Its probably SpamAssassin, which is run against every incoming message. This causes it to have lots of copies in memory at once and to run/quit very often. I don't think that updating Perl will help (I don't see why a user-space process would interfere with kernel resource management.) and I has updated SpamAssassin several times since the problem began.

It was a good thought though. I wondered the same thing myself when this whole mess started.

Jaime