On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:44:17 -0800, Mark McConnell wrote:

> An error in a pw* script inserted a non-existent shell into the password
> database, effectively locking out root.
>
> I used a fixit disk to correct the problem, using this procedure:

Unless I'm missing something, seems like the long way to do this. Last
time I did this to myself, I did the following:

1) Log in as a user who can su to root.
2) Use su -m to su to root without changing your current shell
3) As root, use chpass -s to change your shell to a working one.

Of course, this won't work if your only account is "root" or you don't
have anyone else in the wheel group, so maybe it doesn't apply to you.