Joachim Dagerot wrote:
[ ... ]
I realise you are right. The thing is that this is a home system and I
have (had!) around 230 GB of data that was non-replicable. I am not
aware of a deasent backup system that can handle that amount of data.

There are three main alternatives:

1) hard drives -- get another HD or two and back up all data from your main filesystem daily via cron (perhaps locally, perhaps to a second machine); very cheap but iffy reliability...more of a "hot spare" solution than a true backup solution, but reasonably effective.

2) DVD burner -- cheap, limited media capacity but you can burn 20-odd DVD's (modulo achieved compression ratio) in a sane amount of time

3) tape-- main candidates are probably sDLT (up to 320GB per tape capacity) or maybe Ultrium (LTO?)...expensive (~ $3000+), best reliability by far, and best support for incremental backups to conserve media costs

--
-Chuck