In 5.x devices are automatically built for you on first use.
That is just one of the changes between 4.x and 5.x.

THAT IS WHY   MAKEDEV    DOES NOT WORK FOR YOU.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Frederick
Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 12:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: freebsd 5.1 and devfs

shalom,
      I read the manpage on devfs and can't make heads or tails of
it. I've a cs4236
onboard pnp sound card that took 2 months to finally get running and
I'm gonna wait that
long this time. My box is a dell optiplex gx1 and using old school
rules catted dmesg.boot and found pcm0<my card> but when I tried to
run sh MAKEDEV snd0
I find that makedev is now deprecated. please assist in my using
devfs to make device
nodes please reply to address above. Thanks

nikita