Matthew Seaman wrote:
On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:49:34AM +0000, Peter Risdon wrote:

Matthew Seaman wrote:

Certainly. You will find it better suited to the large filesystems
you have than UFS1.  I also have a vague feeling that background fsck
is a UFS2 feature, but I can't find documentation to either confirm or
deny that.

I'm sure this is right. If one of my 5.* machines has an un-clean shutdown it states that it is starting background fsck checks as it completes its boot process.

Hmmm... After searching through any number of web pages, I must
conclude that background fsck(8) works on all versions of UFS on 5.x.
Conclusion drawn this way because if it didn't it would be documented
as not working, or there would be any number of messages on mailing
lists asking why doesn't it work?  Also, background fsck(8) depends on
the 'snapshotting' feature of UFS, which comes out of the soft-updates
functionality definitely available in both UFS1 and UFS2.

One of these days I really must get my hands on a 5.x system.

Cheers,

Matthew

I did some searching too and bgfsck does seem to be available for UFS.
I'll install 5.2 on my machine today and test myself..

Heinrich