I've posted my s/key issue on this mailing list, BSD forums and also submitted a bug report to FBSD... no response so far or any advice on how to debug the problem.

I'd like to switch my Debian based file server to freebsd but this issue on s/key is annoying.

Any comments are welcome.
Thanks
Dany

Dany wrote:

In order to allow my user to login using his regular Unix password I had to remove the file /etc/opiekeys

I've tried the same opiepasswd thing on a Debian box and when the s/key expired (sequence # = 0), I just pressed enter in order to get the Password prompt for the Unix password.

Just for information heres is my /etc/pam.d/login (stock from 5.2R install) :
auth required pam_nologin.so no_warn
auth sufficient pam_self.so no_warn
auth include system

account requisite pam_securetty.so
account include system

session include system

password include system

How did I get the OPIE running in the first place without any modification of this file ?

On the debian one I had to add "auth sufficient pam_opie.so" and "auth required pam_deny.so".

Dany

Dany wrote:

Playing around with OPIE I used the following command on a 5.2R (hopefully I still have my root working) :

1) from the user account :
#opiepasswd -c -n 2
I put 2 for the initial sequence number just to see what would happen to the user when he reaches 0

Entered my passphrase, got the seed and got the first response.

2) I didn't touch the /etc/pam.d/login but noticed that it didn't contain any reference to opie (/etc/pam.d/ssh does have some).

3) After exiting the current session, I got :
login : alpha
otp-md5 2 he201
Password:

I think I tried my regular Unix password first and it worked. I logged out and this time I used the response computed by my external s/key calculator. It worked well and I was logged in... nice !

4) So I repeated that process until I reached 0.

5) Now this is what I get :
login: alpha
otp-md5 -1 (null) ext
Password:

I now my s/key password has expired so I put in my Unix password and received a nice :

FreeBSD/i386 (local) (ttyv0)
login: Jan 19 22:08:25 local kernel: pid 613 (login), uid 0:exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

6) I though it was some kind of security mecanism so I logged back on my root account.

7) Trying to disable OPIE login for alpha using the following command :
#opiepasswd -d alpha
Updating alpha:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
local# Jan 19 22:10:06 local kernel: pid 627 (opiepasswd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

I also tried opipasswd -c alpha to recreate OPIE keys for alpha but I received the same segmentation fault.

a) how did OPIE worked in the first place with no mention to it in /etc/pam.d/login ?
b) why do I get a segmentation fault ?

Thanks
Dany