--On 23 January 2004 10:51 -0500 Robert Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm just wondering if it was something 'weird' such as the delay over
the tunnel being on average 'just the right delay time' to cause
problems that you wouldn't get on a LAN or something? :)

I agree that something sounds weird -- I've had no problem tunneling hundreds of megabits using similar hardware to what you're using, and what sounds like a similar configuration. So it seems like something is going on. Do you have any load information available on the systems -- i.e., interrupt rate as measured by vmstat, cpu usage, etc? Are you using natd or other address space translation?

Both systems are dedicated boxes, i.e. they run the tunnel - and nothing else (no nat, nothing). Load on each was unremarkable, i.e. no excessive interrupts etc.

on the hardware that didn't work we were getting about 300 or so interrupts a second on each network card. After the changes this it rose to about 800 a second per card [as the tunnel performance rose].

We're due to pull the failed machine from the remote end soon - If I get a chance I'll run it up here - though I don't think it's "flakey hardware/network card" - as when scp/ftp'ing to that host via either it's physical address, or tunnel endpoint address we got good performance...

Looking briefly at the tcpdumps - it looks like there were a lot of duplicated ACK packets being sent from the remote side (which would suggest they never made it to the other side) - and that would also be a credible reason for the sessions stalling so badly...

It'd also explain why at the time the 'aggregate' traffic flow on gif0 looked good, but individual machines/IP's were getting really pityful throughput... I'll see if I can dig out the original tcpdumps [most the debug stuff usually starts disappearing once the problem is solved, regardless of how :(]