On Jan 31, 2004, at 3:06 PM, Chad M Stewart wrote:

I'm starting down the road of creating a firewall appliance using FreeBSD. An automated, hands off installation is a key component of this.

I have to start somewhere and figured I would start with building my own "release". Using that as an exercise to become familiar with how the process works and then start to customize the install and subsequent image that is put down on the disk.

Thank you,
Chad

I've never tried what you're doing though I've thought about it many times so I don't think I'll be much help on the specifics. But during one of my many times of searching the web for just such a thing I came across this fellows website and seems to be very well documented and up to date.
http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

Also this project may be of some interest to you too.
http://m0n0.ch/wall/

Both are intended to be used with this hardware but also can be customized with any "regular" computer too.
http://www.soekris.com/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Luke