Fred,
have u tried to give the sync option when mounting. Tho i have not used usb.conf to auto mount(which is cool), my /etc/fstab line reads
/dev/da0s1 /mnt/thumb ufs2 rw,noauto,sync 0 0

IMO, even if u use the sync option u are not guaranteed to have all the data written out to the thumb drive if u wish to just pull the device from the box. the box cannot determine when u are going to pull the device. by doing the umount the computer knows to flush all the I/O because the thumb drive might be pulled.

hope that helps any.