Eric F Crist wrote:

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 06:25 pm, richard wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade Freebsd 4.8 to 4.9 using sysinstall | upgrade off a
4.9 CD.  All seems fine until it gets to the point where it reports it
can't even extract the bin distribution and fails.

Does anyone know of a fool-proof way to get this upgrade through?
Preferably some idiot-proof instructions I can follow.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard,

If you have broadband, install cvsup, read the man page on that, and install new sources over FTP via cvsup. Once you have a correct supfile, it's pretty brainless. Most of us have some upgrading done via cron on a regular basis, completely unattended.

Would you care to summarize your upgrading procedure which you process on a "regular
basis, completely unattended."? Details not necessary at this time, just very curious.

Thanks,
Bob Perry

HTH

--